- Permanent Link:
- Basic Magnesium Plant - Townsite Housing Brochure, 1946
- United States. War Assets Administration. Office of Property Disposal
- Creation Date:
- Publication Date:
- Paper ( medium )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Industrial housing
Basic Magnesium, Inc. (Henderson, Nev.)
- Schematics and photographs accompany text that describes the townsite that eventually became Henderson, Nevada. The booklet describes the townsite homes, the business center, schools and recreation, and several other buildings and amenities.
- Additional Physical Form:
- The physical copy of this item is located in the Archives/Special Collections room at the Paseo Verde branch of the Henderson District Public Libraries in Henderson, Nevada.
- Creation/Production Credits:
- The original document was scanned with an Epson Expression 10000XL Photo Scanner using EpsonScan software v. 3.49A. It was scanned in 24-bit color at 400 dpi and saved as a PDF file. The PDF was OCR'd with ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Spring Plus.
- This item is in the box labeled BMI Reference Materials.
- Source Institution:
- Henderson District Public Libraries
- Holding Location:
- Henderson District Public Libraries
- Rights Management:
- Resources such as digital images, digital audio and video, and electronic texts are made available by Henderson District Public Libraries for use in research, instruction or private study only. These materials can never be used for commercial purposes without explicit, prior written permission from the copyright owner. Many items offered by Henderson District Public Libraries may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Some items may have restrictions imposed by the copyright holder or the repository owning the physical items. The holding repositories have made best efforts to identify the copyright status for online items. This information is offered as a service to the general public in determining the proper use of an item and is found in collection finding aids and/or upon inquiry to the holding repository. However, it is always the user's responsibility to determine copyright restrictions and obtain the permission of the copyright holder.
- Resource Identifier:
- hem0021 ( Digital Id )
......... --------------------------, GENERAL INFORMATION Located adjacent to the industrial facilities installation making up the Basic Magnesium Project, and identified as the Henderson townsite, is an emergencyborn community development, complete in its services The development borders on United States Highway No. 95, about midway between Las Vegas, Nev., and Boulder City, Nev approximately twelve (12 ) miles from each. This development constitutes what can be considered a complete community establishment: providing housing and recreation for approximately 3,50Q persons, based on an average of 3.48 persons per unit. The Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad, Boulder City Branch, a division of the Union Pacific Railroad, connecting with the main line at Las Vegas, passes adjacent to the townsite on the south. This rail service presently serves the plantsite. This townsite development was originally initiated to provide adequate and necessary housing and townsite facilities for the permanent employees of the B a sic Magnesium project. At present it is housing the employees of the various agen c ies and lessees. As constructed, the community development consists of a. well-conceived town plan layout of hard-surfaced streets, graded service alleys, complete utilities such as sewer, water, and electrical services, 703 two-bedroom houses 297 three-bedroom houses, all constructed on a standard plan of shiplap on wood frame, compos1t10n roof, tongue and groove wood flooring, electric heating, evaporative cooling, full sanitary plumbing, hot and cold water, open garage and driveway. Also included are school buildings, two ''bachelor type'' apartment buildings of 29 apartments each; theater building; recreation building, housing a drug store, cafe, barber shop, and bowling alley; general store and market building; nursery-school building; post-office building; maintenance shop; paint shop; fire station; small shops building; Protestant Church; Catholic Church; Red Cross building; Boy Scout building; library building; athletic field and field house; asphalt-surfaced tennis court; baseball diamond; and complete hospital serving the area. (This hospital has presently been approved for disposal. ) UTILITIEs Water. -The housing area is served by a system of metal pipe lines to distribute blended treated water from the Water Treatment Plant. Initial water supply is from Lake Meade. Sewer. A connecting system of cast iron and clay pipe sewers with manholes, collects the sewage and delivers it to the sewage-disposal plant. All utility services are supplied from the same source that serves the Basic Magnesium Project, with the exception of the electrical, which is being supplied by Southern Nevada Power Co., through a separate substation.